The Endocannabinoid system is a system that is present in all animals. It is responsible for maintaining biological functions of the body such as mood, mobility, appetite and more. Humans have an endocannabinoid system that is quite similar to the one in animals.
This is great news!!! It means that cannabidiol (CBD) can also interact with the endocannabinoid system present in them. Cannabidiol products like oils, topical and edibles are highly effective in treating or coping with pet health conditions.
The major difference between a human and a pet using CBD is that the pet has a smaller weight therefore, before administering you need to regulate the dosage you are adding to your pet’s diet.
A second option that is available to you is to buy premade pet CBD treats from the store as it contains the right amount of flavors and desired nutrients.
However, if you are looking to personally make and monitor your pet’s treat and salves, here are some recipes for you to consider trying out:
Recipes for CBD treats, oils and Salve
In the pets health and wellness industry, products made from cannabidiol are in various forms such as oil that can be added to food or administered with a dropper, edibles, which come as chewable treats and capsules as well as topical like balms, gels, salves and creams that can applied to the skin.
Here are a few recipes to get you started on making these products for your pets.
Homemade Baked Treats for Dogs
The major ingredient used in making this treat is isolate powder. Isolate powder is crystalline form of CBD and it is at least 99% pure. One of the benefits of using this powder is that it is easy to measure and use in making treats.
This recipe is a baked dog treat that contains a lot of ingredients with high nutritional value. The materials needed include:
- Cookie cutter
- Parchment paper
The ingredients include:
- CBD Isolate powder
- Ripe banana (A piece)
- Peanut butter (1/4 cups)
- Coconut oil (8 tablespoons)
- Dry oatmeal (8 cups)
- Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees
- Add the CBD isolate powder and the coconut oil to a bowl and mix properly
- Into a blender, add two cups of dry oatmeal and blend into fine powder.
- In a separate bowl, mash the ripe banana into a pulp.
- In the bowl of mashed bananas add infused CBD oil and ¼ cups of peanut butter and mix till it is properly incorporated.
- Add the oatmeal flour to this mix and stir properly.
- Once you obtain dough, put it on a flat surface and knead properly.
- Roll out the dough into a circle at about ¼ inch thickness
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out the shape you want.
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper and place each cut out on it.
- Leave one inch space between each cookies and bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
When adding isolate powder, it is important to note that 1 gram of powder contains 1000mg of cannabidiol. You can check here to know more about isolate powder and its benefits.
Recipe for Salve for Dogs
Topical are balms, creams, lotions, oils and salves infused with CBD and applied externally on pets. They are especially beneficial for treating skin conditions in pets. Carrier oils are important in the production of topical to enhance the skins absorption rate.
This is a recipe for making salves for dogs; you also need to take note that salves are thicker versions of cream or lotion because of its wax content. The materials needed include:
- Double boiler
- Container for storage
Ingredients needed include:
- Beeswax (5 grams)
- Fractionated coconut oil (20 grams)
- CBD oil
- Finely shredded coconut (1/3 cup)
- Essential oil (0.5 grams)
- Begin by placing the 5 grams of beeswax into a double boiler and melt over low heat.
- Stir continuously until it’s melted.
- To the melted beeswax, add the 20 grams of fractionated coconut oil and continue to stir.
- Add the CBD oil and keep stirring over low heat until it is fully blended.
- Turn of the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Keep cooling the mixture until it gets to a semisolid state.
- To the mixture add the 0.5 grams of essential oil
- Pour the mixture into a storage container and leave to fully cool.
The salve obtained from this process will last for about 6 to 12 months. Alternatively, you can replace the beeswax with water to make lotions and creams.
You can also check here https://www.wikihow.com/Bake-Organic-Dog-Treats to learn more homemade recipes for your pets.
Before using any of these recipes, there are two points to keep in mind. The first point is that you can use either full spectrum or broad spectrum CBD. However, both spectrums contain some amount of THC unlike the isolate which is its purest form.
There are so many advantages to making these homemade recipes, you get to let out all your creative juice and most important of all you can connect with your pets and build an even better bond. Buying CBD products also has its advantages but you get to know the exact quantity of ingredients added to the treat as well the dosage recommended.