Currently, with brands and businesses going digital and shifting to cloud storage, the demand for cybersecurity is at its pinnacle. With that comes the demand for cybersecurity experts.
Cybersecurity experts help develop new ways to combat cyber threats. An expert could help businesses against cybercrimes such as hacking, phishing, and online fraud.
A cybersecurity expert must have a diverse skill set and be proficient in various skills, and a cybersecurity analyst resume. In this article, you will explore the top 5 cybersecurity skills that will help you get into the field of cybersecurity.
- Networking and System Administration
Thorough knowledge of systems administration is expected to begin a profession in systems administration. It is all about maintaining and configuring computers. You shall be proficient at every aspect of your computer settings and features.
Getting the hang of systems administration will assist you with understanding data transmission’s technical aspects, that help with securing data.
Certifications in CompTIA Security+ and Cisco CCNA are beneficial to understanding networking.
- Knowledge of Operating Systems and Virtual Machines
As an expert in cyber security, you should be comfortable with any Operating System. Sound knowledge of operating environments such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OS is important. VMs or virtual memory could enable you to train and get comfortable while practicing in an isolated environment.
Kali Linux is the most commonly known Linux distribution. It is used for penetration testing and ethical hacking. It accompanies many tools connected with Penetration Testing, Malware Analysis, Security research, Computer Forensics, etc.
- Network Security Control
The different measures which are employed to enhance the security of a network are referred to as Network Security Control. The workings of various networks, how routers, firewalls, and other devices work are pertinent to know.
A firewall blocks traffic from the internet to your computer. It could be hardware or software. A cybersecurity expert must leverage a firewall to prevent unauthorized traffic.
Further, you should be aware of the Intrusion detection systems, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), and remote access.
Having limited or no experience in coding could limit your future opportunities. You should have knowledge of coding in a few languages.
Given below is a list of coding languages that you can learn:
- C and C++: It is a low-level programming language.
- Python: It is a high-level programming language gaining popularity that would help and fix vulnerabilities.
- Java script: It would help prevent cross-site scripting attacks.
- HTML: Most websites use it and it is one of the easiest languages to learn.
Other languages that you could learn are PHP, SQL, Go Lang.
- Cloud Security
As more and more organizations look to cloud infrastructure to store data and run applications, it logically includes the implementation of policies that protect cloud-based systems and devices.
Cloud security involves building secure systems from the start. People with experience in managing big platforms, such as AWS, Azure are thus in high demand.
- Thorough knowledge of systems administration is expected to begin a profession in systems administration.
- You should be comfortable with any Operating System and train on VMs.
- Workings of various networks, how routers, firewalls, and other devices work are pertinent.
- Having knowledge of coding languages helps.
- Managing big platforms such as AWS, Azure to ensure cloud security is an important skill.